source : International PEN
International PEN Communications Officer Vacancy
Job Title: Communications Officer
Responsible to: Executive Director
Status: 1 year contract, with possibility of renewal
3 days week
PEN International celebrates literature and promotes freedom of expression. Founded in 1921, our global community of writers now spans more than 100 countries. Our programmes, campaigns, events and publications connect writers and readers wherever they are in the world.
For further information please visit www.pen-international.org
Purpose of Job:
This position provides an exciting opportunity to work with the world’s leading freedom of expression and literature organisation at a time of exciting change in our communications strategy. The Communications Officer will have lead responsibility for PEN International’s communications activity and will focus on raising awareness of PEN’s activity. Principal elements of this role will include launching a new website and coordinating PR and press relations for the organisation. The successful candidate will share PEN’s commitment to freedom of expression and literature worldwide, and the aims of the organisation as reflected in the PEN Charter. The Communications Officer will work with PEN International staff and Board to promote our work in freedom of expression research and campaigning, international programmes and literary events and activities. Applicants must be able to demonstrate a strong interest in literature and freedom of expression and possess sound communications, copywriting and organisational skills. Experience of websites and PR is essential.
- Coordinating the final phase of development of PEN International’s new website.
- Launching PEN International’s new website – currently in development
- Developing a content strategy for ensuring web content is current, responsive, and reflects the full scope of the organisation’s activity.
- Implementing content strategy in collaboration with Magazine Editor and key staff.
- Development of new functions for PEN International’s website and online presence including social media.
- Coordinating Public Relations and Press relations for the organisation, reflecting all areas of our work and increasing awareness of PEN International among key audiences
- Develop key media contacts and PR mechanisms for the organisation
- Coordinating consultants working on this area
- Management of PEN brand: overseeing and monitoring its use; developing the verbal identity strategy and its implementation.
- Ongoing provision of information and advice to PEN Centres and those using the new brand.
- Coordinating staff within the communications team, including employees, consultants and volunteers
- Ensuring the department budget and any project budgets are effectively managed.
- Fundraising as required to ensure adequate resources are in place to carry out the Communications plans
- Website development and management experience
- Public Relations and press relations experience and knowledge
- Ability to manage consultants in these fields.
- A sound understanding of freedom of expression issues and literature.
- Demonstrable creative marketing and press experience is essential, preferably within a human rights, NGO, arts or charitable sector environment.
- Strong copywriting skills.
- Good working knowledge of the design and print process.
- Experience of managing, updating and editing a website.
- Experience of managing brands or at least knowledge of how a brand supports an organisation’s work
- Ability to work with a team but also to work on own initiative.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach.
- Knowledge of French and Spanish is highly desirable.
- International experience would be extremely valuable.
- Experience managing teams including staff, consultants and volunteers is desirable
- Excellent people skills and the ability to communicate clearly with a wide variety of people
- Fundraising experience is desirable
- Experience in managing budgets and ensuring projects are delivered within budget.
Conditions: 3 days per week
Salary: £28, 000 to £30,000 depending on experience
25 days annual leave per year, pro rata.
1 year contract, with possibility of renewal
Candidates should send a CV and covering letter to Frank Geary, Interim Executive Director, PEN International, email@example.com by midnight on 18th May, 2011.